PLUG's Upcoming Events
Title: Salt Stack for Configuration Management
Speaker: Kevin Bowling
Abstract: Limelight is using Salt Stack to perform Configuration Management at high scale. This talk will go over why this was the best choice for us, best practices we've discovered along the way, an overview of our workflow, including developer's lifecycle, image management, git integration, and reporting.
Bio: Kevin is a systems developer at Limelight Networks and has experience with a wide range of UNIX implementations. Current interests include OS build and release engineering for large scale clusters like Limelight's FreeBSD footprint.
The second talk will be someone from Elasticsearch talking about Elasticsearch. Still nailing down the details.
After 5 years of meeting at Iguana Macks, the business has been sold, the name has been changed, and the new owners have proved difficult to work with. Plus the new private room, which they want us to commit to a $300 minimum order in order to make reservations, has proved to have so much echo that it's actually noisier than just being out in the restaurant, which is also way too noisy.
With all those troubles we have decided to move the Stammtisch to Boulders on Southern which is conveniently located just off the 60 near Fiesta Mall at:
1010 W Southern Ave, Mesa, Arizona 85210
Please come and join us for some good conversation over good food and drinks, both of which are optional... Friends and family are all welcome.
Come see where the conversation leads this time, it doesn't just stick exclusively with Free Software and Linux. Us geeks are interested in all sorts of things, so the conversation always leads to a good time.
I'm sure the new location will be an improvement over what we have been getting over the last few months.
A Fortune 100 Company in the NE Valley is ramping up a new division to reinvent/redo their technology and role of technology in their market segment.
Great benefits, including 1 day a week telecommute.
- Finalizing VXML prototypes into Web Applications by integrating with back-end services and functionality
- Quickly generate and updating HTML prototypes from UI concepts for testing and team feedback
- Serving as a core member of an agile team that drives user story analysis and elaboration, designs and develops software applications, and builds automation tools for testing
- Owning all technical aspects of software development for assigned applications; Performing hands-on architecture, design, and development of systems
- Performing hands-on software and strategy development, typically spending about 50% of time actually writing code, conducting code reviews and testing in ongoing sprints, doing proof of concepts
- Driving consistent development practices - tools and common components; Developing deep understanding of tie-ins with other systems and platforms within the supported domains
- Working with technical product managers contributing to blueprints, and assisting with annual planning of feature sets
- Identifying exciting opportunities for adopting new technology to solve existing needs and predicting future challenges
- Manage your own time, and work well both independently and as part of a team
- Embrace emerging standards while promoting best practices in order to push the limits of what a browser can do
Read more: Linux/Java/Websphere Programmer Job
The pay would be in the 90-100k region.
Environment is approximately 400 Redhat (and 60 Solaris servers that we are actively trying to remove) Servers currently in 2 datacenters but we have an active project to consolidate into one datacenter. The resource we are looking for would be Sr level to two others Linux/Unix resources. They would all three be on an on call rotation.
Read more: Seeking Linux Redhat certified
Sr. System Administrator Linux (Night shift)
Information Technology | Austin, TX
The ideal candidate is highly motivated, imaginative, innovative, easy to work with, and energized by the thought of learning, deploying and testing new cutting edge technologies. This position is a technical role that requires the ability to do everything from install new systems to participating in product design as well as support existing infrastructure. The position is primarily a Senior Linux administrator position with a strong input in the infrastructure planning and implementation.
Night shift hours: 11 pm – 8 am
Remote applicants will be considered.
Read more: Sr. System Administrator Linux (Night shift)