Subject: Respawn ID

From: [email-masked] (Victor Odhner)
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 23:27:07 -0700

John Bartlett wrote:
> I have a server running TurboLinux 6.0.2, and yesterday, I
> shut down, and when I rebooted it, after reaching the
> login prompt, I get an error message that says; "INIT: Id "3"
> respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes"

John, I don't know Linux very well yet, but this sounds like you have
some process bombing as soon as Init starts it up.  As soon as one dies,
the respawn takes place, which normally would be a good thing, but then
it bombs again.  The OS (or Init, or whatever) is doing its job by
disabling this init entry for five minutes because the system is
thrashing.  During that time, perhaps you can find a clue to what's
wrong.

Probably you don't want to prevent or delay the respawn, but find out
why the process can't get established satisfactorily.  But I remember
the respawn interval as being an inittab parameter on a different
version of Unix.

Good luck,

Vic