Subject: apt-get for rpm

From: [email-masked] (der.hans)
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 21:41:32 -0700 (MST)

moin, moin,

I got to work with a urpmi that was working earlier this week. That
appears to have some of the apt-get functionality rpm-based dists need.

It will offer to get dependencies and install them as well. You can point
it at a repository out on the net and it it auto download stuff when you
ask for install.

Now we just need the security and download URLs for the different dists.

urpmi is on Mandrake and appears to be for it, but it should be easy to
get it working on other rpm-based dists.

The thing that appears to still be missing is a way to query which
packages have newer versions and to do a dist upgrade. I think the latter
will take some time as that requires a lot of organization to do it in a
stable manner. The former should be easy, though. That would allow for
automagically updating packages with security problems.

ciao,

der.hans
-- 
#  [email-masked]   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.Opnix.com
#  Practice socially consious hedonism. Do whatever you want,
#  as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. - der.hans