Subject: "Visio" tool in opensource?

From: [email-masked] (Brian Cluff)
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 14:55:32 -0700

I just saw Kivio in freshmeat.  I havent tried running it yet, but the
screenshots look very nice.  Their claim is that its ment to be very similar
to a windows product with a similar name visioaaaaachew

Looks like it could be a winner as well if its stable.  Its GPL with
commercial contracts, so my guess would be that it probably is.

Brian Cluff
----- Original Message -----

> Is there a Visio-like tool available in opensource or at least free?
> Something that runs both on Linux and Windows (or at least on Liunux and
> has a common data file format for Windows sharing) would be wonderful.
> Anyone know of anything?
>
> BTW Visio is a program developed and the bought by M$ for drawing diagrams
> like flow charts, network and office layouts, etc.  Kind of a CAD with
> pre-drawn objects and virtual templates for common items.
>
> Alan
>
> /------------------------------------------
> |Alan Dayley             www.adtron.com
> |Software Engineer       602-735-0300 x331
> [email-masked]
> |
> |Adtron Corporation
> |3710 E. University Drive, Suite 5
> |Phoenix, AZ  85034
> \-------------------------------------------
>
>
> ________________________________________________
> See http://PLUG.phoenix.az.us/navigator-mail.shtml if your mail doesn't
post to the list quickly and you use Netscape to write mail.
>
> Plug-discuss mailing list  -  [email-masked]
> http://lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us/mailman/listinfo/plug-discuss

From [email-masked]" <[email-masked]  Mon Nov  6 22:55:38 2000
From: [email-masked]" <[email-masked] (William Lindley)
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 15:55:38 -0700
Subject: BSA ads
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

I will bring to the PLUG meeting a couple BSA flyers from ITEC... a large 
thick yellow card I received in the mail, and also the below letter. 
 Somehow I just don't ever see myself buying anything else from the 
mentioned firms.  If they are trying for congeniality points, they have 
another think coming.

Nice how you are presumed guilty until you prove your innocence, huh? 
 Does this letter make your blood boil or what...

\\/

===

Business Software Alliance
www.bsa.org
Washington, DC

October 30, 2000

Your BSA Truce Participation #: xxxxxxx

Bill Lindley
Owner
LS Software
[address]

Dear Bill Lindley:

You may have heard that the Business Software Alliance is cracking down on 
organizations in the Mesa area that use unlicensed software. If your 
software is not licensed, you could be the target of a BSA investigation.

The BSA -- an association comprised of Adobe, Apple, Autodesk, Bentley 
Systems, CNC Software/Mastercam, Corel, Macromedia, Microsoft, Network 
Associations and Symantec -- works to educate [pester, harrass, 
intimidate?] the public, and enforce intellectual property rights.

[in bold]
   The BSA is calling a Truce.
   You have one month to get legal.

The BSA is offering a Software Truce 'in Mesa between November I and 
December 1.

Take this time to review your software installations and usage and, if 
necessary, acquire the licenses you need. If your organization becomes Uly 
licensed during the Truce, BSA Will not seek to impose penalties for any 
unauthorized copying that occurred before December I (unless your 
organization has been informed it is already under investigation). If you 
are contacted by the BSA, just show your Truce Participation Number and 
software purchase receipts to the BSA, to take advantage of the Truce. 
(Please see the reverse for terms.)

Unauthorized copying is the same as stealing. If you're caught, your 
organization could face penalties totaling hundreds of thousands of 
dollars. The enclosed document contains news clips from organizations that 
learned their lesson the hard way.

[in bold]
   Not sure if you're fully licensed?
   We can help you find out.

Trying to determine whether your organization is using illegal software? 
Visit our website at www.bsatruce.com for more information and to download 
our free Software Audit tool, or call our special Truce hotline at 
1-877-536-4BSA (1-877-536-4272). If you find that you aren't 100% 
licensed, contact your software vendor immediately and buy the software 
licenses you need before the Truce ends on December 1, 2000.

Sincerely,

Bob Kruger

Vice President

Business Software Alliance