Subject: graphics card purchase recommendations

From: [email-masked] (Digital Wokan)
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 20:26:26 -0700

Yes, Nvidia "supports" Linux, but to use hardware driven OpenGL, you
have to seperately download, compile, and install their drivers. 
(Unless you have Mandrake 7.1 or Red Hat 6.2, then you can use their
RPMs.)  Until they loosen up on the license in their drivers though,
downloadable Linux distros like Mandrake can't include the drivers on
the CD.

Julian M Catchen wrote:
> I just purchased an Elsa Gladiac GeForce2 GTS based on the Nvidia chipset.
> Of the documentation I read, it supports Linux better than any other card
> (I am a big Matrox fan too).  There is a great article on anndtech
> comparing cards for Linux:
> http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1331
> One other thing is that Nvidia and Matrox support Linux, and I was
> suprising to see that even the Elsa box lists Windows *and* Linux as
> supported -- now that seems like progress.
> julian

-- 
Digital Wokan
Tribal mage of the electronics age
Guerilla Linux Warrior