Subject: No eth0:

From: [email-masked] (Kevin Buettner)
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 14:34:12 -0700

On Mar 30, 10:39am, Trent Shipley wrote:

> Per Depak's request:
> ------------------------------------------
> 
> Linux Kernel: 2.2.14-5.0
> ethernet card: Linksys Network Everywhere NC100 version 2.0
> 
> ------------------------------------------
> 
> PCI devices found:
...
>   Bus  0, device  10, function  0:
>     Ethernet controller: Unknown vendor Unknown device (rev 17).
>       Vendor id=1317. Device id=985.
>       Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 11.  Master Capable.
> Latency=64.  Min Gnt=255.Max Lat=255.
>       I/O at 0xd400 [0xd401].
>       Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xefffec00 [0xefffec00].

Hey!  I think I have one of these (or at least something pretty
close)...

[kev@mesquite kev]$ cat /proc/pci
PCI devices found:
  ...
  Bus  0, device  15, function  0:
    Ethernet controller: PCI device 1317:0985 (Bridgecom, Inc) (rev 17).
      IRQ 11.
      Master Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=255.Max Lat=255.
      I/O at 0xb800 [0xb8ff].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xdffff800 [0xdffffbff].

Note that the vendor and device ids match up between your card and
mine.

I'm not actually using this card right now - more about that in a moment -
but to the best of my recollection, it worked fine with FreeBSD 4.2, 
Red Hat 7, and Wolverine (the 2nd beta for the upcoming Red Hat release).
kudzu even recognizes this card when you boot up and offers to fix up
your networking for you.  (Convenient, huh?)

Now...  as to why I'm not using this card...  I currently have six
different OSes (only one of which is Linux and none of which are
Windows) installed on the machine in question and though Linux and
FreeBSD had no problem with this card, some of the other OSes didn't
like it.  (I couldn't get Solaris 8 to recognize it.)  I also know that
older versions of the Linux kernel don't recognize this card:  I tried
putting the card in one of my Red Hat 6.2 machines (running
2.2.14-5.0), but the kernel didn't recognize it.

Anyway, at the moment, I'm using a 3Com card in my Wolverine+FreeBSD+etc
box and the realtek card that I was originally using with this box in
my Red Hat 6.2 box.  (Solaris likes the 3Com card better and Red Hat 6.2
had no problem with the realtek card.)

My recommendation is to either 1) install a new(er) kernel which
recognizes the card or 2) install a newer Linux release.  I know for a
fact that Red Hat 7 works with the card that I have.  I think there's
a very strong likelyhood that it'd work with your card too.  That
said, it's also likely that other distributions sporting more recent
kernels will work too.

Kevin