Subject: Agenda VR3

From: [email-masked] (Tom Bradford)
Date: Sun, 06 May 2001 13:10:05 -0700

I just received a Developers Edition of Agenda's VR3
(www.agendacomputing.com).  For those who don't know what this is, it's
a MIPS-based PDA that runs VR-Linux (a 2.4 kernel scaled down for PDAs)  

My first impression was like most people's... Really slow, but over the
weekend, I flashed the latest kernel and root images onto it, and was
VERY surprised.  The performance and stability have improved
dramatically, and the apps have been fleshed out quite a bit more, and
are rather impressive to use.  The graffiti has improved greatly as
well, and is much easier to use.

My ultimate plans for this thing are to get dbXML running under Kaffe on
it.  I'm also thinking about starting a side project to produce a
Java-based PDA operating environment.  It would require gutting out all
of the Apps and just running with a minimal environment that includes
the J2ME and an X server, but it'll be interesting to try.  Aside from
that, it's a very nice toy.  I really like being able to telnet into my
PDA and FTP things to and from it.

-- 
Tom Bradford --- The dbXML Project --- http://www.dbxml.org/
We store your XML data a hell of a lot better than /dev/null