Subject: Office-Compatibility...

From: [email-masked] (Patrick Fleming)
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 10:24:34 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, Craig White wrote:

> ------------
> The problem with StarOffice seems to center on using StarOffice, using
> the Save command to save '.doc' files on FAT volumes. I don't seem to
> have problems saving on smbfs volumes but on local FAT volumes. I can
> save '.doc' files on local e2fs volumes and copy them over but that is
> rather painful.

That could be what my problem was- the floppies were FAT formated so I
could take them to the office, ditto for the .doc.

>
> The other issues that I seem to have with StarOffice - needs a lot of
> RAM (at least 128M though RAM is cheap these days), I have found little
> redemption for the mail program and I am not overly fond of their window
> management. I have been playing with KOffice (1.0) and it looks like it
> will be quite nice when it grows up and apparently we are just a month
> or so away from 1.1 stable.
Well, bigger, newer, faster machine with more ram and it flies.
Haven't tried KOffice- Open Office looks promising eventually too.
Patrick
>
> Craig
> ________________________________________________
> See http://PLUG.phoenix.az.us/navigator-mail.shtml if your mail doesn't post to the list quickly and you use Netscape to write mail.
>
> PLUG-discuss mailing list  -  [email-masked]
> http://lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us/mailman/listinfo/plug-discuss
>