Subject: JABBER instant messaging

From: [email-masked] (Tom Achtenberg)
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 13:49:11 -0700

Bob where can I download the Jabber Instant messaging software?  

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob George [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2001 1:36 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: "JABBER" on the list Can't we keep it down?

"Derek Neighbors" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Rather than use some off irc server, why not use OPN - Open Projects Net
> that has hundreds of mirrored and synced servers and is guaranteed to be
> around more than an off personal server.

On reading the subject line, I was interested because I've recently started
using open-source Jabber Instant Messaging. Jabber has transports to a
number of other IM systems (AIM/ICQ, Yahoo, MSN), but sadly not IRC. Various
Jabber servers (notably theoretic.com) do offer public chatrooms.

Has there been any thought to using such a system? I realize that it
probably doesn't offer much more than a mature IRC approach -- though some
of the SSL capabilities were interesting. It is nice to see an open
alternative to mainstream proprietary apps though.

- Bob

________________________________________________
See http://PLUG.phoenix.az.us/navigator-mail.shtml if your mail doesn't post to the list quickly and you use Netscape to write mail.

PLUG-discuss mailing list  -  [email-masked]
http://lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us/mailman/listinfo/plug-discuss