Subject: anti dot-net spew

From: [email-masked] (Sundar Narayanasamy)
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 13:12:09 -0700

Joseph,

This is what I infer by reading .NET, though I might be biased as I have 
successfully worked/implemented quite a few J2EE projects.

                1. .NET is not just a framework on how to develop your 
application, you have to buy middle layer support that would enable you 
to run .NET apps. Of course these middle layer products are released by 
M$ and you pay a hefty price for that.
                    Even J2EE needs J2EE complaint servers to support 
their framework, but you can get better than commercial grade free 
software like JBoss, Enhydra totally free.
              
                2. Even when you buy M$ software, lot of times you have 
to train your employees and/or pay lot of money for support contract 
with M$.( I am implementing MS SMS for our company and had few questions 
about certain things, but when I asked the questions in their News 
Group, one of the M$ representative politely asked me take advantage of 
their current specials on training sessions-- i.e $3000 for one day 
session in Las Vegas)
 
                3. .NET implements M$ way of developing applications 
that are tightly integrated to one another(though they claim otherwise). 
It is not based on MVC model, which any object oriented programmer would 
swear by.

               4. I haven't yet read field case studies on successful 
enterprise level .NET implementations outside Microsoft; whereas J2EE 
has many to go by.

               5. And since M$ always ties their software releases with 
Operating System and Servers, you have to upgrade your hardware/software 
regularly to get continuous support from M$ and their vendors. My 
philosophy is - if it works why fix it. ( We have some old Venix 
systems, which we still use actively; they work!)

                etc..
                   
Sundar

Joseph Gledhill wrote:

>
>I need some legitimate reasons not to go with .NET as a development
>platform.  Any comments would be appreciated.
>
>thanks,
>
>Joseph
>
>________________________________________________
>See http://PLUG.phoenix.az.us/navigator-mail.shtml if your mail doesn't post to the list quickly and you use Netscape to write mail.
>
>PLUG-discuss mailing list  -  [email-masked]
>http://lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us/mailman/listinfo/plug-discuss
>