Subject: Cheap notebooks as terminals?

From: [email-masked] ([email-masked])
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 14:49:26 -0400

I would not be TOO concerned about wireless capability.  Notebooks without a
battery would be cheaper and so you would have to be wired to power anyway.

My thoughts are that a notebook that works but has no hard drive and battery
should be pretty cheap, if you can find such a beast.  Then, the boot floppy
would need to load the pcmcia network card drivers, as you mention.

The show stopper at this point, for me, is that I don't have a server computer
yet.  The budget won't allow one for a while so I guess this is all academic
for now.  :^[

Still fun to talk about, though!

Alan

On 19 Jul 2002 11:32:12 -0700 Bryce C <[email-masked]> wrote:

I did a little experimenting with my laptop and LTSP server.  First,
make sure that the pcmcia network card is supported by pcmcia-cs.  You
will have to use an etherboot floppy because the network adaptor can not
have a boot rom.  You will also have to use a special etherboot disk
that includes pcmcia-cs available from here:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/ltsp/wireless_ltsp-3.0.3-i386.tgz?download
under the guise of wireless booting (yet another interesting
possibility) but I couldn't go further because my cards weren't
supported.

Good Luck.