Subject: Setup Help needed - SSL, Mail Server (Robert Ward)

From: [email-masked] (der.hans)
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 10:01:59 -0700 (MST)

Am 19. Aug, 2002 schwätzte UCWebDesigns Webmaster so:

> Our current server - IIS 5.0 has a verisign certificate for its SSL.  I
> wanted to create a test certificate so I could make sure SSL was working
> but after running the create cert steps and setting up a test cert. I
> could not get SSL to work.  On windows is Id10t proof - copy and paste
> cert from verisign and you are done.  It appear to be more then that on
> linux but I can't seem to make it work even after following tutorials.
> Figured I would ask for help from someone who has set it up before.

There are directions on the main page of the apache-ssl web site in the FAQ.

http://www.apache-ssl.org/#FAQ

See the 6th question. Note that some files get automagically created in the
directory your in, so after issuing commands look for new files :).

> Email server.  I am pretty much determined I am not using sendmail.  It
> will either be qmail or postfix.  But I was not sure what others have
> used and I am willing to go either way.  I have heard both are pretty
> simple to maintain and have good security (a must have).  The only email
> servers I have installed are Exchange and a few other windows based
> email servers.  There are a ton of tutorials on setting up postfix and
> even qmail but I need to get it right the first time since time doesn't
> allow for me to screw up much at this point.

Go with postfix since you're using Red Hat.

Is this for a single domain? If so, it should be simple to setup and the
install might automagically configure it for you ( profided you know how to
answer the questions ).

ciao,

der.hans
-- 
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/
#  Like the maid, I don't do (M$)Windows. - der.hans