Subject: gateway setup

From: [email-masked] (Craig White)
Date: 12 Oct 2002 23:29:45 -0700

On Sat, 2002-10-12 at 23:43, cliff rogers wrote:
> Thanks Ted, I don't know what the setup is supposed to be on eth0. The only
> thing I have seen that is strange to me is that they both use the same
> driver. They are identical NIC's so I don't know if this creates a problem
> or not. Anyway I'll keep PLUGging along until I figure it
> out.............pun intended hehehe C-ya later,  Cliff
----
I have had problems with identical nic's in adjacent slots myself. I
would suggest that you try shutting down...removing one of the NIC's and
restarting. Kudzu (if it's installed and run at startup) should detect
hardware change. Otherwise - check /etc/modules.conf and see if there
are aliases for eth0 & eth1

also check /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 to see if they are properly
set up...i.e.

DEVICE='eth0'
BOOTPROTO='none' #DHCP would be appropriate if dynamically assigned
BROADCAST='192.168.1.254' #bdcasst address for subnet mask/fixed ip
address
IPADDR='192.168.1.1' #whatever fixed ip address you want here
NETMASK='255.255.255.0' #subnet mask
NETWORK='192.168.1.0'  #network for subnet mask/fixed ip address
ONBOOT='yes' #this is obviously important

if ONBOOT is set to NO - change it to yes. 

Anytime you make changes to these files, you can 'ifdown eth0' and then
'ifup eth0' and /etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart (or service network
restart) to activate changes.

Craig