Subject: Console Annoyance

From: [email-masked] (David Mandala)
Date: 03 Nov 2002 16:32:39 -0700

Do two things,

1) Use the file command on all files before reading them to the console.
If the file is not a text file don't read it to the console. Examples
below:

davidm@adam:~$ file invite.pdf 
invite.pdf: PDF document, version 1.3

davidm@adam:~$ file install-crossover.sh
install-crossover.sh: Bourne shell script text executable

davidm@adam:~$ file rasmus.new
rasmus.new: PGP armored text message

davidm@adam:~$ file prydainpuli.conf
prydainpuli.conf: ASCII text

2) type the command reset in the blind, it will normally reset the
console back to readable conditions.

On Sun, 2002-11-03 at 08:29, Entelin wrote:
> When one reads in a binary file to the display it has the chance of
> somehow altering the characters that are used to print normal text so
> its unreadable and scrambled up. Loging that term out doesnt have any
> effect.  How is it that this can be fixed or prevented ?
> 
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> PLUG-discuss mailing list - [email-masked]
> To subscribe, unsubscribe, or to change  you mail settings:
> http://lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us/mailman/listinfo/plug-discuss
-- 
David IS Mandala
gpg fingerprint 8932 E7EF CCF5 1B8C 1B5C  A92E C678 795E 45B2 D952
Phoenix, AZ (480) 460-7546 HP, (602) 321-8277 CP
http://www.them.com/~davidm/