Subject: Alternatives to NFS?

From: [email-masked] (der.hans)
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 10:00:02 -0700 (MST)

Am 04. Sep, 2003 schw=E4tzte Shadow so:

> How about OpenAFS?  Unified directory space, transparent data migration,
> multiple server support, expandable, LDAP/Kerberos authentication - the
> only two things I would like to see is a Network based RAID and
> disconnected operation ala Coda.

Look at the enhanced network block device.

Description: Enhanced Network Block Device support.
 enbd-client proxies kernel requests, passing them across the net to a
 remote enbd-server daemon and making a remote resource on the server
 appear as a local block device.  NBDs may be treated like any other
 block device.  In particular, they may have file systems made on them
 and then may be mounted into the local file system tree.  This package
 contains the userland support daemons for the Enhanced NBD kernel
 driver.
 .
 Regular updates will be found at
 ftp://oboe.it.uc3m.es/pub/Programs/, and the project web page is at
 http://www.it.uc3m.es/ptb/enbd/. Go to www.freshmeat.net and look up
 "ENBD" for more recent public release announcements.

It allows you to export a partition or file to another system. On the other
system you can use it like a local disk. An example is that you could setup
an enbd as the second device for a mirror and have a backup on another box.

Haven't used it, so I don't know how well real world matches up to
marketing.

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/    http://www.AZOTO.org/
#  Science is magic explained. - der.hans