Subject: 27Sep2003 PR

From: [email-masked] (der.hans)
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 16:36:42 -0700 (MST)

moin, moin,

OK, here's the state of the press release.

Last chance for comments.

###
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: George Gambill
Email: [email-masked]
Phone: 480 730 5004
URL: http://PLUG.phoenix.az.us/

Phoenix Linux Users Group (PLUG) offers installation of Free Software to the
public.

On Saturday, October 25, from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM, PLUG invites the public
to attend a no cost Linux InstallFest at the University of Advancing
Technology, 2625 West Baseline Road in Tempe, Arizona. This is an
opportunity for people who are currently unfamiliar with GNU/Linux to learn
more about it, and if they choose, install it on their own computer (PC or
Mac) with the help of experienced GNU/Linux users.

There will also be no cost presentations on Free Software and how to use it
effectively for work or home.

"For years Linux has provided IT professionals with a stable, cost effective
solution in the file and web server arena. The only way end users could know
that their server was not running a Microsoft operating systems was the
fact that it never crashes, " said George Gambill, project manager for the
InstallFest.

"Linux now brings that same stability and cost savings to the office
desktop, with open source and commercial packages that rival those available
on Windows.  Need to share documents with Windows? Use OpenOffice.org, the
premiere app for word processing, spread sheets, and presentations.  End
users like Outlook? Evolution does all that and it won't infect your network
with viri," continued Gambill.

Linux is the core of a free operating system that includes software from
projects such as GNU, GNOME and KDE. It can be installed as the lone
operating system or alongside another operating system on the computer.

"The GNU/Linux system is a stable, secure operating system that isn't
susceptible to email, web or document viruses," said der.hans, CEO of
Arizona Open Technologies Organization (AZOTO). "AZOTO is proud to help user
groups promote the use of Free Software," he continued.

Come see Knoppix, a GNU/Linux distribution that runs right from CD without
using the hard drive. Knoppix allows people to try GNU/Linux without it
affecting their hard drive or requiring an install. PLUG uses Knoppix for
GNU/Linux classes.

There will also be demos of the Linux Terminal Server Project (LTSP) which
can provide 20 fast workstations for under $2000, OpenOffice.org's office
suite and the GIMP drawing program.

These tools are all Free Software, guaranteeing people and companies the
right to use the software as they wish. Free Software can be freely copied,
modified and examined. Computer experts consider these freedoms essential
to computer security and believe they provide more robust systems than
proprietary software vendors.

Attendees interested in having GNU/Linux installed on their computers should
bring their computer, monitor, keyboard and mouse. Those who connect to the
Internet using a dial-up modem should bring the modem as well.

"In a phrase, Linux is ready. Come see why. Join us at the October 25th
InstallFest," said Gambill.

PLUG ( http://PLUG.phoenix.az.us/ ) is an informal group with several
meetings a month in various parts of the Phoenix metro area. The meetings
are open to everyone and there is no cost. PLUG also has an active
discussion list for helping people use GNU/Linux.

AZOTO ( http://www.AZOTO.org/ ) is an Arizona-based non-profit dedicated to
promoting the use of Free Software and Open Technologies in the state of
Arizona.

The University of Advancing Technology ( http://www.UAT.edu/ ) is an ACICS
accredited private university located in Tempe, Arizona. Designed to bring
faculty, students and industry leaders together in a unique environment,
the University continues to serve as a leader in education and the latest
technologies. The school offers associate, bachelor and master's degrees
in Multimedia, Software Engineering and Technology Commerce, as well as
professional development training.
###

The diff is from the version before last as I forgot to check in the last
bit of changes. Sorry.

***
4c4
< Phone: <???>
---
> Phone: 480 730 5004
12,15c12,15
< Technology, <UAT addy>. This is an opportunity for people who are currently
< unfamiliar with GNU/Linux to learn more about it, and if they choose,
< install it on their own computer (PC or Mac) with the help of experienced
< Linux users.
---
> Technology, 2625 West Baseline Road in Tempe, Arizona. This is an
> opportunity for people who are currently unfamiliar with GNU/Linux to learn
> more about it, and if they choose, install it on their own computer (PC or
> Mac) with the help of experienced GNU/Linux users.
21,31c21,31
< solution in the file server arena. The only way end users could know that
< their server was not running a Microsoft operating systems was the fact that
< it never crashes. Today Linux brings that same stability and cost savings to
< the office desktop environment," said George Gambill, project manager for
< the InstallFest.
<
< Gambill continued, "With packages like OpenOffice (Word Processing, Spread
< Sheets, Presentation) rivaling any commercially available offerings, it
< is easy to understand why Linux has been eagerly embraced by governmental
< agencies throughout the world.  Not to mention such companies as IBM,
< Hewlett Packard."
---
> solution in the file and web server arena. The only way end users could know
> that their server was not running a Microsoft operating systems was the
> fact that it never crashes, " said George Gambill, project manager for the
> InstallFest.
>
> "Linux now brings that same stability and cost savings to the office
> desktop, with open source and commercial packages that rival those available
> on Windows.  Need to share documents with Windows? Use OpenOffice.org, the
> premiere app for word processing, spread sheets, and presentations.  End
> users like Outlook? Evolution does all that and it won't infect your network
> with viri," continued Gambill.
38c38
< susceptable to email, web or document viruses," said der.hans, CEO of
---
> susceptible to email, web or document viruses," said der.hans, CEO of
73c73,79
< University of Advancing Technology ( http://www.UAT.edu/ ) ...
---
> The University of Advancing Technology ( http://www.UAT.edu/ ) is an ACICS
> accredited private university located in Tempe, Arizona. Designed to bring
> faculty, students and industry leaders together in a unique environment,
> the University continues to serve as a leader in education and the latest
> technologies. The school offers associate, bachelor and master's degrees
> in Multimedia, Software Engineering and Technology Commerce, as well as
> professional development training.
###

ciao,

der.hans
-- 
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/    http://www.AZOTO.org/
#  Science is magic explained. - der.hans