Subject: Gentoo intro question

From: [email-masked] (Bryce C)
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 00:41:19 -0700

--=-lv5aOeBjszzqEN1CaJJQ
Content-Type: text/plain
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

On Fri, 2003-12-26 at 21:48, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> I like using the build-from-source system called pkgsrc. It also builds
> binary packages and provides binary package administration tools which
> make it quick and easy on systems where I don't want to (or don't have
> time to)  build from source

Gentoo also provides this facility. `emerge --buildpkg ebuild` will
compile a binary package of the ebuild which you can simply `emerge
package.tbz2` later on, or on other machines.
Also, there is the GRP (acronym escapes me. Gentoo Resource Project i
think?) which provides binaries prebuilt for your platform, including
known stable optimisations. Instructions for this type of install are
included in the standard Gentoo install documentation.
Neither method restricts you to keeping with them (using the binaries)
nor do they prevent "mix-n-match", compiling some things from source and
using the binaries for others. Gentoo Portage takes care of the
dependencies between both.

--=20
Bryce C <[email-masked]>
CoBryce Communications

--=-lv5aOeBjszzqEN1CaJJQ
Content-Type: application/pgp-signature; name=signature.asc
Content-Description: This is a digitally signed message part

--=-lv5aOeBjszzqEN1CaJJQ--