Subject: dd question

From: Charlie Bullen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 09:12:59 -0700

Hello,

I need to copy the entire contents of  /dev/hda4 which is mounted as 
/home to a second disk. The second disk is much larger than the first. I 
have a formated partition on the second disk, /dev/hdb4.

What I think I need to do is   |dd if=/dev/hda4 of=/dev/hdb4 . Then I 
need to modify /etc/fstab on the second disk to mount /dev/hdb4 as /home.

Will the above dd command do what I want, namley copy all the contents 
to the larger partiton on the second disk?

Also when all this is done, I am only going to be using the second  
disk, currently the /etc/fstab file on the second disk refers to the 
devices as /dev/hda1 , dev/hda2 etc. When I modify this file, should I 
refer to what in the copying process, I refered to as /dev/hdb4 as 
/dev/hda4 as that will then be the only disk that exists.

Charlie
|
---------------------------------------------------
PLUG-discuss mailing list - [email-masked]
To subscribe, unsubscribe, or to change  you mail settings:
http://lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us/mailman/listinfo/plug-discuss