Subject: Re: Install Fest

From: Lee Einer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 08:05:57 -0700

>
>
>As an instructor for the last 8 years the single biggest complaint I get from new computer users is what I call, "The Computer Guy Syndrome", named after the skits of the same name on Saturday Night Live. They all have friends or coworkers that are around should a problem arise with their systems, but rather than actually helping the user they simply *zip* *zip* fix it and move on, leaving the user with no knowledge of how to circumvent or maybe even fix the problem on their own at a later date.
>

Surely, InstallFests will always benefit from constructive criticism, 
and the volunteer installers will always have a range of skill in 
teaching and interpersonal communication.

That being said, we should not lose sight of the fact that the 
Installfests are a great gift to the community.The fact that volunteers 
regularly give so freely to the community of their time, knowledge and 
resources, in some cases spending hours on a single difficult install, 
is laudable. Installfests are also direct action which advances the 
cause of free software and helps create a society in which all things 
are done as a gift to the community rather than out of the profit motive. 

Lee Einer
Dos Manos Jewelry
http://www.dosmanosjewelry.com

---------------------------------------------------
PLUG-discuss mailing list - [email-masked]
To subscribe, unsubscribe, or to change  you mail settings:
http://lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us/mailman/listinfo/plug-discuss