Subject: Re: suggest plug-chat list (was Re: OT as long as we are digressing tonight)

From: "Alan Dayley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 13:13:27 -0700 (MST)

Jeremy C. Reed said:
> Maybe PLUG should host a chat list at
> [email-masked].
>
> All off-topic discussions can be moved there.
>
> And regular plug-discuss can be used for mostly Linux-related
> discussions.
>
> Does PLUG have any type of board or committee? Who makes these
> decisions?

PLUG has a Steering Committee.  We do what the group wants by some sort of
conscensus.

PLUG has several email lists now:
discuss
devel
security
announce
webdev
npo
(See
http://plug.phoenix.az.us/modules.php?op=modload&name=FAQ&file=index&myfaq=yes&id_cat=1&categories=General+Plug+Questions&parent_id=0#4)

I subscribe to them all.  The only two with any traffic are discuss and
devel.  devel is very low.  We tried to make all announcements only in
announce for a while but got complaints that people missed the
announcements because they were not made in discuss.

It's a chicken-and-egg situation.  Everybody is used to everything being
on discuss so no one uses the others.  No one uses the others because it
is all on discuss.  The only to enforce each list is to moderate.  Who has
time to do that?

Having a separate chat or offtopic list would be fairly easy to setup.  My
prediction, based on past results, would be that it would fall into disuse
in favor of "OT" posts in discuss.  (Disclaimer: Past results do not
necessarily guarentee future results.  Consult a professional before
accepting my predictions.)

Alan

---------------------------------------------------
PLUG-discuss mailing list - [email-masked]
To subscribe, unsubscribe, or to change  you mail settings:
http://lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us/mailman/listinfo/plug-discuss