Subject: Re: apt-get broken dependencies

From: "der.hans" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 16:48:53 -0700 (MST)

Am 09. Nov, 2005 schwätzte Alex Dean so:

> I did only have 'testing' in my sources.list.  I added 'stable', ran 'apt-get 
> update', and I was able to install php4-gd without any problems.  It 'just 
> worked'.

OK, much better.

> On Nov 8, 2005, at 10:51 PM, der.hans wrote:
>
>> You still shouldn't be needing t1lib1 based on the package info I have.
>> 
>> I'm interested in why apt is wanting to install that for you.
>
> No idea on that one.  It is a little funny, because I didn't see t1lib1 in 
> the requirements for php4-gd either (on debian.org).  I don't know how the 
> packages actually get in the respository, but is it possible that there's a 
> new version of php4-gd which doesn't have the dependency on t1lib1, and the 
> website has been updated but the mirrors I'm using still have an older one?

Could be.

apt-get remove t1lib1

Let us know what it wants to remove :).

apt-rdepends might also show you what's requiring it.

> I'm using packages.dotdeb.org and mirrors.usc.edu in my sources.list.  The 
> actual php4-gd which I got was this : "http://packages.dotdeb.org ./ php4-gd 
> 4:4.4.1-0.dotdeb.2".  Maybe that isn't exactly the same as the php4-gd 
> described on debian.org?

Hmm, looks like you're using some unofficial debs. It also looks like that
site doesn't have testing debs.

Looks like 4.3.10 is the latest in stable, php4-gd_4.3.10-16_i386.deb.

4.4.0 is in either testing or unstable, php4-gd_4.4.0-4_i386.deb.

>> https://www.LuftHans.com/unix/
>> 
>> See cafod. It's probably a bit out of date at this point, but the basics
>> still hold true even if there are now better ways to get them done.
>
> Thanks!  This is in my Linux bookmarks now.

Cool. Let me know if you have suggestions for it. I really should update
it.

ciao,

der.hans
-- 
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/
#  Freedom isn't everything, but without freedom you have nothing. - der.hans

---------------------------------------------------
PLUG-discuss mailing list - [email-masked]
To subscribe, unsubscribe, or to change  you mail settings:
http://lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us/mailman/listinfo/plug-discuss