Subject: Re: usenet about to die?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 00:37:57 EST

In a message dated 11/23/2005 7:00:20 PM US Mountain Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

>So does usenet.  That is what each group essentially is.

Acknowledged, but:

-Do most clients present them as a single heirarchical set, or as a list of 
individual groups?  I think the former, except when you're selecting groups to 
add to your read-list.  I don't recall when I was using Thunderbird, it 
offered you an easy way to skip to subgroups.

-If you want a new subgroup, it needs propogation.  Using a tag allows you to 
avoid the wait and incomplete propogation period.

-Making extra groups could lead to massive overkill.  If we have, for 
example, alt.comp. periphs.mainboard.abit, do we *need* 30 model-specific sub-groups? 
 It might also lead to people missing messages of relevance unless they're 
cross-posted to every subgroup.

I'm just trying to figure out how Usenet could be made as appetizing as 
web-based forums without breaking it
---------------------------------------------------
PLUG-discuss mailing list - [email-masked]
To subscribe, unsubscribe, or to change  you mail settings:
http://lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us/mailman/listinfo/plug-discuss