Subject: Re: OT: Gmail filter errors

From: "Josef Lowder" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 08:12:15 -0700

Joseph Sinclair wrote, in part:
> Seriously, are you really getting that much spam in your gmail account?

Yes!  It's incredible ... 300-400 every day (if I don't use filters to send
the worst of this garbage to trash) ... and it almost always includes 1 or 2
or more legitimate email messages that are important, so I have to scan
through that whole mess to find and not miss those important emails.

> It sounds like almost all of the spam is caught by the GMail system,
> and all you're doing is deleting (mostly) legitimate email...

Not so.  The volume of garbage that goes into the spam folder is
ridiculous ... including a surprisingly large number of items that are
so horribly offensive that it is sickening to even have to scan through
all those titles.  That is why I started using filters to send the worst of
that grossness to trash.  And it is extremely rare that I get a legitimate
email in trash.

What I do not understand is why Gmail does not allow a "delete
forever" filter option instead of only allowing a fillter-delete option
that sends the filtered item to trash and not just totally obliterate it.
The fact that Gmail even has a filter-delete option clearly shows
that it is their intent to allow users the option of filtering out message
that are so bad that they don't even deserve to be in a "probably
spam" pending file of sorts.

What possible good is it to send filter-deleted items into a trash folder
if your intent is to discard them.  If the blank blank thing worked right,
I would have no need to ever have to rummage through the trash to
look for possibly legitimate items.

And what possible harm would it be to provide a filter-delete-forever
option to allow us to incinerate all this garbage that is clearly and
easily identifiable as rubbish of the worst possible nature?

I've made this suggestion numerous times to Gmail, but of course
never have received a reply.
---------------------------------------------------
PLUG-discuss mailing list - [email-masked]
To subscribe, unsubscribe, or to change your mail settings:
http://lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us/mailman/listinfo/plug-discuss