Subject: Re: OT : disk enclosure recommendation

From: Alex Dean <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 12:14:50 -0700

On Dec 8, 2008, at 8:10 AM, Alex Dean wrote:

> Thanks for everyones' input.  As usual, this is a great place to get  
> technical advice.  A few quick replies...
>
>> Wouldn't JBOD end up setting everything up as a >1300Gb single unit?
>
> Hm.  I'm afraid I may have misunderstood the term.  I thought 'just  
> a bunch of disks' meant I'd be able to use the 2 disks separately,  
> like they'd be separate logical devices, and a client could mount 1  
> or the other independently.  Reading further, it seems that's not  
> correct.  Crud.  Looks like JBOD is more like RAID 0 w/o the  
> striping.  I guess that's what I get for inferring too much from an  
> acronym. :)
>
> So, in this single enclosure, how do I keep the 2 separate?  Backups  
> on the big drive, and extra primary storage on the smaller one?   
> Hopefully there will be some options in the enclosure's OS that will  
> allow that kind of setup.  Otherwise I'll probably be returning it.

I looked again and found this in the product description :
   "Standard mode creates two separately accessible hard drives."
   http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=666

So I think I'm set.  Saved from the idiocy I didn't know I had.  (Is  
there any other kind?) :)

alex
---------------------------------------------------
PLUG-discuss mailing list - [email-masked]
To subscribe, unsubscribe, or to change your mail settings:
http://lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us/mailman/listinfo/plug-discuss