Subject: Re: Network Sniffers

From: Mike Bushroe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 15:43:50 -0700

"Now I'm curious.  How fast is their internet connection?"

I said _LAN_, not _WAN_! I work primarily on the LOCAL area aspect of their
network. However, during times of DNS coverage (or the opposite of what we
normally talk about, the call ZOE's, or Zones of Exclusion, there is an
upload/download link to Mission Operations. I am not sure how fast this is,
but it runs on a Ku band transceiver. Any access to the outside world, and
thus the actual internet, goes through there.

"How is data sent to and from the space station?"
Files are sent by CD, DVD, or file transfer to configuration control for
the mission operations team. An OPS plan is written for any new or
non-standard files, existing SOP for things like the Norton Antivirus
update files. Then the Procedures are followed, the file(s) ftp'd onto one
of the laptops On Station, and then the Procedures would call out what the
Astronaut(s) should with the file(s) from there. I don't know how emails
get in and out, but I assume that they are better scanned for hidden
viruses than just about anyone else!

"  Are hackers trying to break into their LAN a problem?"
NASA Safety is _always_ worried about that or anything else that could
possibly cause a safety problem. Even though there are a lot of firewalls
between here and there, they are still looking to further reduce risks.
Surprisingly, they are still not yet locking out telnet and ftp and
requiring ssh and scp for all transfers, even within the Station.

Beyond that, I can't tell you without, well, you know! ;)

Mike
-- 
"Creativity is intelligence having fun." — Albert Einstein
---------------------------------------------------
PLUG-discuss mailing list - [email-masked]
To subscribe, unsubscribe, or to change your mail settings:
http://lists.phxlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-discuss