Subject: Re: Article / Data warehouse cms software

From: Nathan England <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 18:58:36 -0700

Thanks for all the input. The articles that are going to be put into the
system currently only exist on paper. Which I have no plans of scanning
in. These will be lovingly typed in, mostly by myself. Many of the
articles will have references to each other, so wikimedia's easy ability
to link between other documents is important to me. I want it simple. 

This is definitely one of those issues where I really want the
technology to just help me do what I want to do and not turn into a
major development project or something that requires more time to
maintain than the system itself for me to use. 

I just want to type in my documents and be able to search and link
between them. 

If it helps at all, this is personal bible study notes and sermons from
the last 10 years. I don't want to lose any of it and I want to expand
on a lot of it. I also want to begin typing up a complete commentary as
detailed as possible. I really want to take advantage of the
inter-linking between documents. 

Thanks again for all your thoughts! 

On 2015-05-26 17:33, Mark Phillips wrote: 

> I also looked at dspace. It has lots of bells and whistles for professional archivists, especially in the workflow for adding something to the repository. I am not sure if one can bypass any of the steps. It was too complicated for my needs. It meets all sorts of standards for archiving documents, but my project does not need to be standards compliant. Mayan also has a workflow associated with adding something to the repository, but it seems to be much more streamlined and appropriate for my archiving needs. Dspace is also a Java/Tomcat application, so a bit heavier than I wanted to host for my project. Just my 2 cents based on a fair amount of research in this area. I am by no means an expert!
> 
> Mark 
> 
> On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 3:55 PM, Stephen Partington <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Well if you are looking to store a digital library you can consider something like D-Space 
> 
> http://www.dspace.org/ [1] 
> 
> It is a bit finicky to set up but it does work on revision management and actually managing and maintaining your data. do some reading before you decide to try it. it is not for the feint of heart. 
> 
> On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 12:48 PM, Mark Phillips <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Nathan,
> 
> I am in the same boat. I have lots of scaned documents (pdfs, tiffs, jpegs, etc.) to tag and make searchable. I tried a wiki and did not have much luck. I stumbled upon mayan edms (http://www.mayan-edms.com/ [2]) and it looks pretty good. It is a django based open source project for storing, tagging, and searching documents such as I have. It also does ocr as documents are imported, so the searches cover both meta tags and document content. It keeps a modification history for all documents. It can use SQLite, MySql, postgress, etc. as the db. Django is a pretty simple framework to understand. The only downside is that the community support is sparse and the docs are also sparse. I am just now looking at the code to see how well it is documented. 
> 
> Most of the archival software I looked at are Java based, and I prefer Python because for this small project it uses less resources. 
> 
> Let me know if you plan to use it. Perhaps we could help each other understand the project.
> 
> Mark
> 
> On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 11:19 AM, Stephen Partington <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> If you know wordpress i would stick with it. additionally there are plugins for wiki as well. 
> 
> https://wordpress.org/plugins/search.php?q=wiki [3] 
> 
> and knowledge base functionality. (might have to investigate these for my own use) 
> 
> https://wordpress.org/plugins/search.php?type=term&q=knowledgebase [4]
> 
> On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 10:00 AM, Matt Graham <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On 2015-05-25 21:08, Nathan England wrote:
> I have a project to store a lot of data. Articles, stories, and
> encyclopedia type stuff. My first thought was to use a wiki
> (wikimedia) as it makes the contents easily searchable, but what about
> other cms systems like wordpress?
 Wordpress is generally more "centralized", as it puts the most recent
blog posts up on the main page. Whether you'd use it or a wiki really
depends on what the users will be doing since there are things wikis do
better than wordpress. The default wordpress search seems to work OK.
Writing internal links using wordpress is more difficult than doing that
in a wiki.

> I am not familiar with wikimedia and its maintenance requirements.
> I can say that WordPress does not require a lot of attention.

 This depends greatly on the users. Setting up a wiki and running it is
not really difficult or resource-consuming if you don't have many users
and none of them are actively trying to destroy the site. If you have a
bunch of active users, you're going to need moderators and handle the
inevitable flame wars. They come out with a new version of wordpress
every couple of months, and updating usually doesn't break anything or
take a lot of time. If you have comments enabled on wordpress, you will
need to periodically get rid of the spam since there are many people out
there comment-spamming wordpress sites.

> If you are doing something very heavy duty Drupal might be a
> candidate.
 I'd say "avoid drupal unless you know you need it" but that's just MHO.

 -- 
 Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress [5]
 There is no Darkness in Eternity
 But only Light too dim for us to see. 

 ---------------------------------------------------
 PLUG-discuss mailing list - [email-masked]
 To subscribe, unsubscribe, or to change your mail settings:
 http://lists.phxlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-discuss [6] 

 -- 

A mouse trap, placed on top of your alarm clock, will prevent you from
rolling over and going back to sleep after you hit the snooze button.

Stephen

---------------------------------------------------
 PLUG-discuss mailing list - [email-masked]
 To subscribe, unsubscribe, or to change your mail settings:
 http://lists.phxlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-discuss [6] 
---------------------------------------------------
 PLUG-discuss mailing list - [email-masked]
 To subscribe, unsubscribe, or to change your mail settings:
 http://lists.phxlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-discuss [6] 

 -- 

A mouse trap, placed on top of your alarm clock, will prevent you from
rolling over and going back to sleep after you hit the snooze button.

Stephen

---------------------------------------------------
 PLUG-discuss mailing list - [email-masked]
 To subscribe, unsubscribe, or to change your mail settings:
 http://lists.phxlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-discuss [6] 

---------------------------------------------------
 PLUG-discuss mailing list - [email-masked]
 To subscribe, unsubscribe, or to change your mail settings:
 http://lists.phxlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-discuss [6] 

Links:
------
[1] http://www.dspace.org/
[2] http://www.mayan-edms.com/
[3] https://wordpress.org/plugins/search.php?q=wiki
[4]
https://wordpress.org/plugins/search.php?type=term&amp;q=knowledgebase
[5] http://crow202.org/wordpress
[6] http://lists.phxlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-discuss
---------------------------------------------------
PLUG-discuss mailing list - [email-masked]
To subscribe, unsubscribe, or to change your mail settings:
http://lists.phxlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-discuss