Subject: Re: Yahoo, Thunderbird and the quest for email freedom

From: "Scott L. via PLUG-discuss" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2025 12:37:42 -0700 (PDT)

Yahoo is rather notorious for security and privacy issues. I'd highly 
recommend deleting your account once you find a replacement. Even Gmail 
is preferable imo.

As far as clients, I use FairEmail as my primary email app. It has an 
insane amount of options. The trick is to ignore all of that until you 
get the hang of the basics. Even then, there's no need to change advanced 
settings.

Other than Thunderbird, Proton Mail and Tuta are the only others I'd 
recommend.

FairEmail Links:
Web: https://email.faircode.eu/
GitHub: https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail

If you want a better solution, I'd highly recommend buying a domain name 
(these can be had for a few dollars/year) and using a DNS hosting service 
like EasyDNS, who I've been working with for the better part of a decade.

For $55/year (with domain registration) or $40/year without registration, 
the DNS Pro plan gives you 10 2GB email accounts, as well as 100 email 
aliases. They support IMAP and POP3, and they offer both Roundcube and 
Horde webmail.

Email (which they call easyMAIL) has a turnkey setup wizard. You don't 
even need to understand DNS to set it up (though it would help). If you 
get stuck, they offer a free concierge service.

More info:
https://easydns.com/dns/
https://kb.easydns.com/knowledge/easymail-settings-and-specifications/

FYI, I have no connection to the company aside from being a satisfied 
customer.

---
Scott Lopez
Email: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------

Mar 25, 2025 8:34:32 AM greg zegan <[email-masked]>:

> Hello,
>   As many you now know Yahoo, who was acquired by Verizon back in 2017 
> and has merged with several companies to form a mega-corp has put out a 
> new web interface which is terrible and caused me to seriously seek out 
> an alternative to Yahoo.  Verizon, famous for terrible customer 
> service, has now become the business model for Yahoo users. 
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahoo!_Inc._(2017%E2%80%93present)
>
> Does anyone use an alternative email client and do they like it?  I 
> have used Thunderbird years ago but it allows so much email you have to 
> create filters to keep Spam out and receive normal email.  And yes I 
> will find my username and password for Proton Mail...
>
> How do we continue to use Yahoo email without getting slammed by this 
> giant company?
>
> thanks,
>
> Greg

---------------------------------------------------
PLUG-discuss mailing list: [email-masked]
To subscribe, unsubscribe, or to change your mail settings:
https://lists.phxlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-discuss