Subject: Re: Running Win10 after end of life

From: Arun Khan via PLUG-discuss <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2025 11:59:20 -0700

On Thu, May 1, 2025 at 10:52 AM Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss <
[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> I assume there was no firewall?  I assume that a good firewall might be
> the solution for running win10 after it expires?
>
>
IMHO, a consumer firewall can only do so much. The system may still be
vulnerable to zero day exploits (with no update from MS), trojan payloads,
etc.
One needs to weigh the benefit and the risk of whatever you are doing with
Win10.
In case you have a VM then, at a minimum I would suggest that you create a
snapshot of the "pristine" version of your installation and save a copy of
the "snapshot" on separate media for restoration in case of a compromise.

There's some internet chatter about MS providing security updates on a
subscription basis but I don't know if that's applicable to Win10 desktops,
YMMV.

-- Arun Khan
---------------------------------------------------
PLUG-discuss mailing list: [email-masked]
To subscribe, unsubscribe, or to change your mail settings:
https://lists.phxlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-discuss