Subject: Re: Running Win10 after end of life

From: Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2025 13:19:48 -0700

Thanks Arun!!

On 2025-05-01 11:59, Arun Khan wrote:
> On Thu, May 1, 2025 at 10:52 AM Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>> I assume there was no firewall?  I assume that a good firewall might
>> be
>> the solution for running win10 after it expires?
> 
> IMHO, a consumer firewall can only do so much. The system may still be
> vulnerable to zero day exploits (with no update from MS), trojan
> payloads, etc.

Ok, had not considered these, thanks!!

> One needs to weigh the benefit and the risk of whatever you are doing
> with Win10.

Ok.

> In case you have a VM then, at a minimum I would suggest that you
> create a snapshot of the "pristine" version of your installation and
> save a copy of the "snapshot" on separate media for restoration in
> case of a compromise.

The Win10 is on a laptop that I run VirtualBox that have around 10 LAMP 
VMs.  It also runs my video software that only runs on M$.

My daily driver is an old dell running Kubuntu.  I am not ready to 
upgrade my hardware.... I have until Oct. So maybe I need to convert 
that laptop to kubuntu and find a free Linux video editor.  I hear 
Kdenlive is a good choice.

> 
> There's some internet chatter about MS providing security updates on a
> subscription basis but I don't know if that's applicable to Win10
> desktops, YMMV.

I've heard/read about this....  At this station in life I am on a 
shoestring and really need to move away from M$ anyway...

Thanks!!

Keith

> -- Arun Khan
---------------------------------------------------
PLUG-discuss mailing list: [email-masked]
To subscribe, unsubscribe, or to change your mail settings:
https://lists.phxlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-discuss