Subject: Re: Running Win10 after end of life

From: JD Austin via PLUG-discuss <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2025 15:14:08 -0700

Someone probably already said it, but you can use Rufus to create usb
install media to upgrade unsupported Windows 10 installations to Windows
11.
Not sure how out of spec your hardware is, but I've upgraded VMs and
laptops without TPM 2.0.
You're just asking for trouble running an unsupported OS.

Rufus can be downloaded from https://rufus.ie/en/
Rufus works great to create bootable Linux USB sticks too.

In addition to downloading Rufus, you’ll want to download an ISO file.
Windows 11 ISO files can be downloaded from
https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11
Once you have these two downloads, run Rufus, ensure you’ve selected a USB
drive and the ISO file from within Rufus and choose to start. Another
dialog will come up with various setup options including a check box to
bypass the Windows 11 hardware requirements. This is checked by default.
Start the USB creation process at this point.  Once your USB drive is
created, open it from within Windows and run Setup. Again, you should not
need to boot off the USB drive. Finish setup and your OS will be updated.
This is a Linux mailing list and you can get pretty far with Crossover
Linux and such, but there are a lot of things that won't run.
If you're using it to browse the Internet and use web apps then that works
just as well in any Linux distribution.

JD
---------------------------------------------------
PLUG-discuss mailing list: [email-masked]
To subscribe, unsubscribe, or to change your mail settings:
https://lists.phxlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-discuss