Subject: COMPLETELY different thread about mouse/keybaord KVM, was Re: Running Win10 after end of life)

From: rusty carruth via PLUG-discuss <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 May 2025 15:21:14 -0700

On Fri, 2025-05-02 at 12:07 -0700, David Schwartz via PLUG-discuss
wrote:
> It’s quite ironic that despite all of these incredible breakthroughs
> in computing tech and wireless tech, nobody has figured out how to
> multiplex a keyboard, mouse, and display across multiple computers.
> 
> There are a couple of ways to do it for displays if you’re careful,
> but keyboards and mice … ? 
> 
> -David Schwartz
> 
> 

Actually, there's an application, used to be free, that will allow  you
to have multiple displays, each on a different computer, but all using
one computer's keyboard and mouse.  Very cool.  Of course, it requires
(at least) one monitor for every computer, but still very cool (and I
will refrain from mentioning that you could use VNC to have the other
computer screen on your local pc, so its all in one, which I've also
kind of used).

The application is called, um, yeah, Synergy.  Huh, looks like there's
an 'across' now, or maybe even deskflow.  A Duck search of "keyboard
sharing application' is your friend here....

The only problem, besides needing a monitor for every computer, is
typing at the computer you're looking at, not at the one with the
selection!  (Think about it - the old 'typing when you think window X
is selected when its actually window Y - that problem on steroids since
now you have multiple computers and monitors involved)

---------------------------------------------------
PLUG-discuss mailing list: [email-masked]
To subscribe, unsubscribe, or to change your mail settings:
https://lists.phxlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-discuss