Subject: Re: Running Win10 after end of life

From: Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 May 2025 16:06:07 -0700

Thanks Steve,

<scroll>

On 2025-05-03 12:50, Steve Litt via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Apr 2025 13:54:45 -0700
> Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>> Hi,
>> 
>> I have one app that is windows only.  I am not going to upgrade to
>> win11.
> 
> Why not? Is Win11 really that incompatible with Win10? Is this an app
> you wrote, or something somebody else sold you? You're a PHP
> programmer: Why don't you just make a program that does the same thing?

The app is a video editor.  I use it to make YouTube videos.

> 
> I'm having trouble understanding this whole thread. First, the old
> African proverb: The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago, the
> second best time is now.

I went M$ free in 2000 for 8 months.  Do not recall why I returned to 
Win at that time.

Then about 12 to 14 years ago I tried to free myself of M$.  I was free 
for a while and then I needed Windows for business reasons.

Now my life and business dealing are much different.  AND Linux has 
matured to the level that it now fits my needs.  My daily driver used to 
run Win10 and about 3 years ago it got corrupted.  So I migrated to 
Kubuntu.

I'm thinking I need to convert my work laptop, that might be 8 years 
old, to Kubuntu and embrace Kdenlive.  I understand several people on 
the list use Kdenlive and my needs are simple.

> 
> I took the punch in the early 00's and went Windows-free. Yeah, it was
> tough. Yeah, I still miss my beloved Micrografx Windows Draw program,
> because it was better than Inkscape. But now the only thing this
> impending Win10 drop does to me is allows me to get a half decent
> computer, to use with Linux, at pre-tariff prices.

A friend of mine that is on this list uses both old hardware and runs 
Wine for his editing software.

> 
> OK, if you didn't convert 20 years ago, it can still be done now. You
> have five months. If the app was written by you, you have 5 months to
> adapt it to Win11. It will probably take 48 hours. If it's somebody
> else's app, you can probably find a Linux alternative.

I Agree.

> 
> I've seen people in this thread speaking as if buying a new computer
> was the equivalent of buying your first house. If Windows is important
> to you, $3K for a fully loaded desktop isn't unreasonable. Hell, I paid
> $4.5K for a 486-10 in 1990, which is probably the equivalent of $9K
> now. It seems to me that if Windows is important to you, you pay for
> the privilege every 5 years. If it's not, just jam Linux on the Win10
> machine and get the performance you would have gotten from a brand new
> Win11 machine.

I have lots of old hardware. All have SSD drives and most have some 
level of RAM upgrade.  Eventually I would like to build a box that has 
12 cores/24 threads with 2 - raid 0 (mirroring) 2TB SSD drives and 128GB 
of RAM.  That is over kills for me and might be my last computer.

> 
> The longer we kick the Win2Lin conversion can down the road, the more
> opportunity we give Bill Gates' descendants to uproot our computer
> lives at a whim. Kind of like they're doing on October 14, 2025.
> 

I think we are the same ago, I'm sure you recall the old 8088 garage 
clones.  Bill was changing things back then.  He was accused of adding 
logic that helped his team build better apps.  I recall he was really 
hated back then.  I used Windows in 95 because that is what my employer 
gave me.

> Desktop Linux never promised to be as good as Windows in every respect.
> It never promised to run every windows app. What Linux *did* promise
> was the GNU GPLv2: The ability to modify and pass on the modifications.
> The GPLv2 enables you to find new ways to do the workflow formerly
> accomplished by Windows and other proprietary software. It might not be
> as pretty. It might require me to write shellscripts and make other
> accommodations. But the job gets done. And in the majority of cases,
> the job gets done much better than it ever did on Windows.
> 
> Bottom line: It would have been great to get rid of Windows 20 years
> ago, and the second best time is right now. Throw the thing off your
> computer, and declare your independence from Gates, Ballmer, and all
> those who followed.

I agree, however it will not happen today but must happen by Oct.

Thanks for your feedback!!

- Keith

> 
> SteveT
> 
> Steve Litt
> Spring 2023 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques of the Successful
> Technologist http://www.troubleshooters.com/techniques
> 
> ---------------------------------------------------
> PLUG-discuss mailing list: [email-masked]
> To subscribe, unsubscribe, or to change your mail settings:
> https://lists.phxlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-discuss
---------------------------------------------------
PLUG-discuss mailing list: [email-masked]
To subscribe, unsubscribe, or to change your mail settings:
https://lists.phxlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-discuss