Subject: Re: Scanner Recommendations

From: "der.hans via PLUG-discuss" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2025 02:56:10 +0000 (UTC)

Am 07. May, 2025 schwätzte AZ Pete via PLUG-discuss so:

moin moin,

> All,
> I've switched my "daily driver" computer to Linux (Kubuntu 24.04) and have been able to get almost everything working since my transition from Win 10 a few weeks ago. However, I cannot get my old Plustek scanner to work at all. Since it's so old, I'm just going to get a new one.
>
> I'm looking for a simple single page USB scanner (just like my old Plustek). What brand/model can someone recommend that they have found to work well under Linux? Also, what scanning utility is recommended? I'm looking for a GUI application. I don't scan a lot of documents, but occasionally (like now) I'm given some hard copies of important documents and I have to scan them into PDF format.

I've been using xsane for scanning for many years. I only connect via USB.

Brother has been supporting their printers and scanners on Linux for
years. When I first bought mine the printer worked out of the box. At the
time it required a proprietary driver for the scanner, but I didn't need
to scan, so didn't install the driver. After upgrading to debian 12 xsane
could recognize and use the scanner.

I switched to Brother after tiring of HP messing with their printer
inks. HP scanners probably still work well.

For space reasons I've stuck with printer/scanner combos, though I only
print things a couple times a year. Moving to Brother laser printer from
HP inkjet has been the best thing for that.

ciao,

der.hans
-- 
#  https://www.SpiralArray.com   https://www.PhxLinux.org
#  "We should not be building surveillance technology into standards.
#  Law enforcement was not supposed to be easy.
#  Where it is easy, it's called a police state."  -- Jeff Schiller

---------------------------------------------------
PLUG-discuss mailing list: [email-masked]
To subscribe, unsubscribe, or to change your mail settings:
https://lists.phxlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-discuss