Subject: Off topic but tech news: We're getting a Micro Center!

From: Steven via PLUG-discuss <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2025 10:40:00 -0700

If anyone else has been missing Fry's Electronics, while there is no 
official announcement yet it certainly looks like we will be getting a 
Micro Center here in the valley. The phoenix New Times ran an article 
(https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/arts/micro-center-opening-in-phoenix-21797172) 
after someone noticed a construction permit on the door of the former 
Conn's at 44th Street and Oak (same shopping center as Costco and the 
Fry's Not-Electronics grocery store, and not to far from a Raising 
Cane's). I wasn't sure whether to believe it, but while there is no 
notice on their web page of a planned opening when I went to their web 
page earlier in the week and checked the job listings they had three or 
four management level openings for Phoenix, Arizona. And checking again 
just now they still are showing a listing for a "Retail store general 
manager", as an on-site full time job in Phoenix. A search also found a 
Reddit thread where someone found the shopping center management's web 
site and their map of the site for people interested in taking out 
leases and it now shows the old Conn's site as, "Micro Center (coming 
soon)".

Given the permit for renovating the old Conn's only just went on the 
door and that they've only put out a call for senior staff for the site 
(when I looked earlier in the week I recall there being a listing for 
Assistant Managers and a purchasing manager) they probably won't be 
opening or even announcing until near the end of the year or early next 
year. But that will fill the big brick & mortar computer and electronics 
retailer gap we've had since Fry's started collapsing. Sure, there's 
Amazon and other online retailers, but it's nice to actually be able to 
just walk in, browser, and walk out with something.

---------------------------------------------------
PLUG-discuss mailing list: [email-masked]
To subscribe, unsubscribe, or to change your mail settings:
https://lists.phxlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-discuss